Author: Carla Cardello
Thai Sweet Chili Shrimp With Cabbage "Noodles"
Yield: 2-3 Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into coins (bigger coins cut in half)
- 4 small button mushrooms sliced
- Half of a small head of green cabbage cut into 1/2-inch thick strips that are 3-4 inches long* (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce homemade or store-bought
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste or freshly grated ginger or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 pound raw shrimp thawed, peeled, deveined, and patted dry
Heat the oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or large pot. Once hot, add the onions, carrots, and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring often, or until the cabbage is cooked to your liking (I like mine a bit tender-crisp).
While the cabbage is cooking, make the sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, peanut butter, ginger, and lime juice.
Once the cabbage is cooked, add the sauce and shrimp, stirring to combine everything. Cover with a lid and cook 3-5 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and cooked. Serve hot.
*Cabbage comes in a variety of sizes, so you may need to guesstimate the amount. I bought a 2-pound head of cabbage and used half of it. However, if your cabbage is bigger, you may only need to use a quarter of it.