Author: Carla Cardello
Thai Sweet Chili Shrimp With Cabbage "Noodles"
Yield: 2-3 Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into coins (bigger coins cut in half)
- 4 small button mushrooms sliced
- Half of a small head of green cabbage cut into 1/2-inch thick strips that are 3-4 inches long* (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce homemade or store-bought
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste or freshly grated ginger or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 pound raw shrimp thawed, peeled, deveined, and patted dry
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or large pot. Once hot, add the onions, carrots, and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring often, or until the cabbage is cooked to your liking (I like mine a bit tender-crisp).
- While the cabbage is cooking, make the sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, peanut butter, ginger, and lime juice.
- Once the cabbage is cooked, add the sauce and shrimp, stirring to combine everything. Cover with a lid and cook 3-5 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and cooked. Serve hot.
*Cabbage comes in a variety of sizes, so you may need to guesstimate the amount. I bought a 2-pound head of cabbage and used half of it. However, if your cabbage is bigger, you may only need to use a quarter of it.