Author: House of Annie
Sweet-Sour Chilli Dungeness Crab
- 2 Dungeness crabs about 3-4 lbs total
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/2 sweet chili sauce Sriracha will work too but if you’re using that, use less, maybe 1/4 cup, and add a bit more sugar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic chopped fine
- 1-1/2 inch ginger chopped fine
- 2 shallots sliced thinly
- 1 large tomato cut into 8 wedges
- 2-3 Thai bird’s eye chillies cut in half each (optional)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 stalks green onion chopped fine (for garnish)
Prepare the crabs: Partly steam the crabs. Remove the shell. Save the shell (throw out the innards but save all the yummy tomalley). Remove the gills and other inedible bits from around the body. Cut the body into four parts leaving legs attached (about 3 legs, or 1 claw and two legs, to each body part).
Make the sauce: Mix the ketchup, chilli sauce, sugar, cornstarch and water together in a bowl.
In a large fry pan or wok, add the oil and fry the garlic, ginger and shallots over med-high heat until lightly browned.
Add in the crab.
Add in the tomato wedges and Thai bird’s eye chillies, and toss for 30 seconds.
Add in the tomato-chilli sauce and stir to coat the crab pieces. Cover and cook about 10-15 minutes until the shell turns bright orange.
Pour in the beaten eggs and stir and cook for another two minutes.
Plate up and garnish with green onions.