Author: Southern Living
Shrimp and Pesto-Rice Salad
Hands-on Time: 20 Mins Total Time: 25 Mins Yield: Makes 6 servings RECIPE BY Southern Living Serve this brand-new twist on the old rice salad warm, or make it ahead, chill, and serve cold. Ingredients
- 1 pound peeled large raw shrimp, deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil divided
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 2 teaspoons loosely packed lime zest divided
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and diced
- 2 large garlic cloves smashed
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 5-oz. packages fresh baby spinach
- 4 cups warm cooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup smoked almonds chopped
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 425°. Toss together shrimp, black pepper, 1/4 cup oil, 1 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. lime zest. Spread shrimp in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; bake 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink and done.
Meanwhile, process mint, next 3 ingredients, 1 (5-oz.) package spinach, and remaining 1 1/4 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. lime zest in a food processor until finely chopped. With processor running, pour remaining 1/4 cup oil through chute in a slow, steady stream, processing until combined.
Toss remaining 1 (5-oz.) package spinach with warm rice. (Spinach will wilt slightly.) Stir pesto into rice mixture; sprinkle with almonds. Top with shrimp.