Oysters on the Half Shell with Ceviche Topping
Yield: Makes 12 oysters
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup finely diced peeled Asian pear
- 1/4 cup peeled seeded and finely diced cucumber
- 1 serrano chile seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced candied ginger
- 1 teaspoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 12 freshly shucked oysters on the half shell such as Rappahannocks
How to Make It
In a small skillet, toast the coriander seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely crush the seeds in a mortar. In a small bowl, mix the crushed coriander with all of the remaining ingredients except the oysters.
Arrange the oysters on crushed ice. Spoon some of the topping on each one and serve right away, passing additional topping at the table.
Suggested Pairing Crisp, melony Loire white like a Muscadet.