Author: Dinner at the Zoo
Orange Shrimp and Broccoli with Garlic Sesame Fried Rice
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes Servings: 4
For the shrimp & broccoli:
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp I use 21-25 count
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of orange juice fresh squeezed is best
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of sliced green onions
- 2 teaspoons of sesame seeds
For the fried rice:
- 2 cups Mahatma Jasmine Rice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- In a medium pot, place 3 cups of water and 1 and 1/4 teaspoons of salt. Bring the water to a boil, then add 2 cups of Mahatma Jasmine Rice. Bring the water back to a boil then turn the heat to low, cover the pot and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the cover and fluff the rice with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, heat a large pan over medium high. Add the broccoli to the pan along with 2 tablespoons of water; cook for 3-5 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Season the broccoli with salt and pepper to taste and then remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan with a paper towel and return it to medium high heat. Add the 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil; after the oil is hot add the shrimp in a single layer and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes per side or until pink and opaque. Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan with a paper towel and add the orange juice, soy sauce and sugar. Bring to a boil and cook until the mixture has reduced by half and is starting to turn syrupy.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of cornstarch with 2 teaspoons of cold water and add the mixture to the pan. Boil for 1-2 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Pour the sauce over the shrimp and broccoli and cover with foil to keep warm.
- To make the fried rice heat 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute - be careful to not let the garlic burn. Add the rice, sesame oil and sesame seeds to the pan and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve: place the rice on a platter and top with the shrimp and broccoli mixture. Garnish with the sliced green onions and 2 teaspoons of sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Calories 656 Calories from Fat 108 Total Fat 12g Saturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 428mg Sodium 1866mg Potassium 619mg Total Carbohydrates 87g Dietary Fiber 3g Sugars 7g Protein 45g