Carp Char Grilled In Betel Leaves: Ca Tram Nuong La Lop
Level: Easy Total: 55 min Prep: 20 min Cook: 35 min Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons peeled and pounded fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cloves garlic pounded (1 tablespoon)
- 1 chile pounded
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 (1 1/4 to 1 3/4 pounds/600 g to 800 carp cleaned
- 1 bunch betel leaves*
- Large pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 long chile julienned
- 4 spring onions finely sliced
Preheat a charcoal grill.
For the dressing: Mix the ginger, sugar, garlic, chile, water, fish sauce, and vinegar. Set aside.
Season both sides of the fish with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Now cover the fish with betel leaves, then enclose in the wire rack.
Char grill each side of the fish for 15 to 20 minutes on medium heat.
Cover the fish with the fish sauce dressing and garnish with sliced chile and spring onions.
Wire fold up grill
*Can be found at specialty Asian markets.